One of the most difficult things about writing is actually trying to start. Even if you are a great writer, staring at a blank page and struggling to think of what to write can be stressful.
Here are my 10 top tips to beat writer’s block:
1. Find a quiet, comfortable place to work. I love working at home during the week because it’s quiet and I do not get interrupted. However, I can’t write with music on and if there are builders or gardeners outside I wear earplugs!
2. Write when you are at your best. Maybe you find it easier to write at the crack of dawn, after lunch or when the kids have gone to bed?
3. Block out an hour or two. Working in short snatches of time doesn’t work for most people. I usually need plenty of time to get into it to create my best work.
4. Relax. When you are stressing or concentrating too hard the best ideas don’t come. When you have an idea save it on your phone, or keep a notepad handy.
5. Focus on a specific customer. When you write for one person it’s so much easier to talk to them and think about what questions they may have.
6. When you have a topic, start with the headline. Don’t just stop at one, write five, ten, as many as you can – it will help you get your imagination going and help focus your content.
7. Think about the structure. What are the most important points you want to get across?
8. Set yourself a deadline. Be realistic about how much time you are going to spend on it and don’t be too much of a perfectionist. Edits are a natural part of the writing process.
9. Try a change of scene. Do you feel stuck for words? Make yourself a coffee, work on a different project for a while or go for a walk and come back to it.
10. Discuss your ideas with someone. Tell a colleague, friend or your partner what you are trying to convey. Talking about it helps you get it clear in your mind.
If you are still struggling you could always have a gin and tonic!
Seriously though, if you struggle to find the right words and you want a professional to take the pain away for you, contact Jenny for a free quote.
Not sure what we can help you with? Check out our services here.